Did you know that 100% of the funding that fuels the region comes from your donations? It’s true! The main nonprofit that is Nano spends its money on many worthy things, but our cozy little corner is all on us. Also, because we are not a registered nonprofit ourselves, we can’t run a balance from one year to the next, so anything leftover on December 1st gets sent on to headquarters. Every year we’re starting over from scratch.
How do you contribute? Just hand some cash to any ML or Minion at any event. That’s it! Every penny counts.
In addition to straight up “here’s some cash” we have several other avenues for fundraising this year.
The second annual Team Championship is under way, complete with a brand new collectible poster! It’s beautiful. It’s also a little smaller, and cheaper! $10 cash in our hands means a poster in yours! Or you can paypal $10 to @teambondono. And because of the smaller size, we are able to print locally, which means no hassle for order forms this year. Posters will be available at major events, and most writeins with ML Owen or Minion Erika in attendance.
A brand new fundraising item, show your motown pride! Cash or paypal, only $5! See any leadership.
These fall under the header of “give us cash,” and will be counted in our overall cash fund, but there’s the chance for prizes.
Midway: 50/50 and Raffle! Tickets, as always, are 1 for $1 or 5 for $3. (You can also get Raffle tickets with your words)
Change Drive! Bring your quarters, nickels and dimes! Heck, bring your pennies. Search your couch and cupholder! We’ll have a giant box of vintage buttons and stickers you can trade for coins and fill out your collection.
Boot Camp: Raffle! Again! But a smaller one. Tickets are 1 for $1, or 5 for $3, or buy them with ALL THE WORDS you write during our most intensive event.
Our second annual bake sale was a grand success, netting us about $250.
So, exactly what do all our hard-earned devotions get for the region, anyway? All kinds of stuff! Including but not limited to:
- Button-making supplies (button parts and printing of the images)
- This website! (The domain name costs $12 per year. This year we would like to cover this year’s cost, and next year’s.)
- Paper goods for writeins and events (posterboard, stickers, markers and pens, signup sheets, handouts, postits, etc.)
- Prizes for raffles (this is a big one. It’s nice to have good prizes.)
- Sundries for our various potlucky goodnesses (paper plates, napkins, cups, plastic silverware.)
- The communal extension cords, so we can snake our way through coffeeshops throughout the month.
- Misc supplies like the plastic badge holders for the punchcards, and lanyards for leadership so that we can be identified at events.**
If we do a really good job at fundraising this year, here are the sorts of things we would like to be able to look into:
- Website domain further into the future.
- Prizes for NEXT year’s raffles (We can’t rollover MONEY from year to year, but we can rollover STUFF. Things we get at the end of this year can get us ahead of the game next year.)
- Donating classroom kits from the main site specifically from our region, because our region is the bestest!
- Down payments to reserve spaces for super cool writing events that we would like to plan for the future.
If you’re really curious about a break down of our local finances, the 2018 running budget can be viewed at this link.
Finally, if you don’t have the CASH to spare, maybe you have a special talent that could be of service. Many of us, in addition to being fancy novelists, are also artists and crafters. Raffles and auctions, like at the Midway, can always use prizes. A few dollars worth of materials can turn into a beautiful piece when mixed with your time and talents.
**Please note that while leadership has their own shirts (same design, bright blue for visibility!) we pay for them ourselves, and our shirts will NOT be coming out of your donations.